Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lightroom 4 Performance Issues


I have been using Lightroom 4 since January and hadn't been having too many problems with it. More recently I had been having additional problems and have been a little frustrated. We did upgrade my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8 since Windows 8 is known for working even more efficiently. Currently my computer specs are i5 with 8gb of memory. Truly enough machine to run Lightroom 4 in theory. After trying every single thing that has been posted out on the web to correct my incredibly slow Lightroom 4 use and exporting, we decided that maybe the on board video card wasn't effective enough for Lightroom 4. My husband found a list of errors in my computer that complained about the video memory being too little. Although the reality was that I had read everywhere that it wouldn't fix the problem, but at this point I will have to beg to differ. My on board video only had 500mb of ram. So on Wednesday I installed an NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 card that has 2gb of ram (seriously, one of the less expensive cards for sale at only $40.00). I have to say that the moment I installed it Lightroom 4 was happy and the card had completely corrected my snail slow problems. All the edits were very fast and the best part was the exporting. I exported 79 pictures and it took only a few minutes. Previously it actually took 45 minutes. I couldn't believe that it worked and worked so well. The sad thing is how many people have said that it wouldn't. I am SOOOOO glad I decided to go against their suggestions and make the change. Yay for speed and efficiency!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment